Saturday, August 06, 2005

Love you, such a sweet thing, good-enough-to-eat-thing


I'm hungry again, dammit. My wrist is sore, my tummy is growling, and I'm ready to eat my desk again. It's time for more Food Talk (TM)!

I spend a lot of time at the Boulevard Market and Pentamere Winery, buying yummies to keep my Inner Gourmand (or glutton, if you prefer) happy and satisfied. This recipe is the result of discovering that Erika sells single truffles in jars for under $6 each, getting some awesome advice about stretching your truffle dollar as far as you can from friend and colleague Fred, and figuring that Pentamere's Celebration White is great to cook with:

Truffled Risotto

Start this dish three or four days in advance.Pour about 4 - 5 cups arborrio rice into a sealable container. Tuck in a whole truffle (or two), put the lid on, give it a shake, and store it in a cool, dark, dry place for at least 3 days.

You'll also need Caciotta al Tartufo, a Tuscan truffled cheese

Then:

-- 4 cups truffle infused arborrio
-- 1/2 pound butter
-- generous pinch saffron
-- bottle of mild white wine (Pentamere's Celebration White is all I use for this dish now)
-- chicken stock, kept warm on the stove (8 cups or so, I dunno, I just thawed one of my frozen blocks of stock out)
-- 3/4 cup shredded Caciotta al Tartufo ( a little more if you like your risotto extra cheesy)
-- 2/3 truffle, grated finely (though I like to use a whole one)

Melt the butter over low heat, add arborrio, stir until well coated. Add just enough wine to cover the rice (around 1/2 a bottle or so), add saffron, stir continuously until wine is absorbed.

Repeat this with the warmed chicken stock (add only enough to cover!) until the rice is tender and the liquid is absorbed. Remove from heat, stir in shredded truffled cheese. Transfer the risotto to a large serving bowl, sprinkle the grated truffle over the top.

This is so awesome with some good, crusty bread, a lightly dressed salad and - surprise! - a mild white wine.

Mmmm...wine...but I dare not post drunk...I'll fall asleep!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ohhhh, cheese.... I can't get good cheese here; my one complaint about the food situation. --Okay, I probably can't get truffles, either, but my culinary skills haven't advanced enough to use them.

8:30am here.
-mdevnich

7:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, getting good cheese in Japan was just a major pain in the patooskis. (Their sour cream was all different, too. Although I kinda liked the thicker, harder, almost butter-like stuff they had.)

- turnberryknkn

10:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My, that does sound very delectible.
I've got some chicken bits, and a can of stock, and I was going to make chicken soup with rice. And Carrots and Celery. And tomorrow will be my soup cooking day.

1:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home