Saturday, August 06, 2005

I came to get a case of factory outlet beer


It's recipe time again!

I know, all I want to talk about is food. I can't help it. Writing makes me hungry.

At the A^2 Social last month, I did a Tapas menu. One of the things I made (and it went over pretty well!) was this:

Cheese Puffs with Fiery Tomato Salsa (from Tapas, published by Parragon in 2004)

-- 1/2 cup flour
-- 1/4 cup Spanish olive oil (I like Zoe)
-- 2/3 cup water
-- 2 eggs, beaten
-- 1/4 pound grated Manchego (or substitute Zamorano or, if you absolutely must, Parmesan)
-- 1/2 tsp paprika
-- salt and pepper to taste

Corn oil for deep frying

For the salsa:

-- 2 tbsp. Spanish olive oil
-- 1 small onion, finely chopped
-- 1 clove of garlic, finely chopped (I used 2 large cloves, we like garlic)
-- splash dry white wine
-- 14 ounce can diced tomatoes
-- 1 tbsp tomato paste
-- 1/2 tsp red chili pepper flakes (more or less to taste)
-- dash Tabasco (I used Cholula, which I like better anyway)
-- pinch sugar
-- salt and pepper to taste

First, prepare the salsa. Heat olive oil in a pan, then add onion and cook until soft but not brown. Add garlic, cook for about half a minute, then add wine and all remaining ingredients. Simmer uncovered for about 20 minutes, or until desired thickness. Pour into a bowl and set aside.

For the cheese puffs:

Sift flour onto a sheet of waxed paper. Place oil and water in a ban and bring to a boil over medium heat. As soon as the water boils, turn off the heat and quickly dump the flour into the pan. Beat well with a wooden spoon until thoroughly blended.

Let cool slightly, 1 - 2 minutes, then add eggs, beating hard after each addition to keep the mixture stiff. Add cheese, paprika, salt and pepper, and mix well.

Pour about 2 inches of corn oil into a heavy pan or use a deep fryer - heat the oil to 375 degrees. Drop the cheese mixture into the hot oil by rounded teaspoonsful and cook for 2 - 3 minutes, or until golden and crispy. Drain well on paper towels and serve with the salsa.




3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yum!

One thing I miss by missing Socials -- your cooking. But then, over the last four years, I've gotten to attend more Socials -- here in the Midwest, in DC, and even on the West Coast -- than perhaps any other person in all of rasfwr-j, so I really ought not complain. :-)

- Turnberryknkn

4:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Place oil and water in a ban and bring to a boil over medium heat."

Um, I thought a ban was a concept. Although it could be a document, I suppose - but it would get mighty soggy...

You're fiend, Jon

1:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm not too good with deep-frying yet, but this recipe is going to my mother. She's good with such stuff.

1:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home