Saturday, August 06, 2005

Only poor boys take a chance on the garden's song and dance.


Mmmmm....lunchie. Remember those tomatoes I took a picture of earlier? I had one of those for lunch. With some other stuff, of course.

Salate di Caprese

-- 1 large, ripe tomato (I used a Brandywine, fresh from the garden)
-- 1 lump (about 5 ounces) fresh mozzarella
-- 1/2 small red onion, finely chopped
-- salt and pepper to taste
-- fresh basil leaves, chiffonaded
-- olive oil (I used Zoe today)
-- balsamic glaze (boil 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar for 5 minutes with 1/8 cup sugar, then cool. I keep some on hand all the time for this dish.)

Thinly slice both the tomato and the mozzarella lump. You can either simply lay a slice of cheese on a slice of tomato, or alternate them in a fan or circle shape as in the picture.

Sprinkle with salt and fresh ground pepper, the sprinkle the chopped red onion and the chiffonade of basil evenly over all. Drizzle with balsamic glaze, then with olive oil, to your taste.

I had this with iced tea, though I'd much rather have had a glass of wine!


5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'd just fuckin google this, but since I wanted to comment on what you're doing anyway.... WTF is chiffonaded?

3:08 PM  
Blogger Missy said...

So THAT'S who you are!

Chiffonade is a ribbon-like cut. Lay the basil leaves one on top of the other, fold 'em over (down the center), then thinly slice across the short way. Voila, little ribbons!

3:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL, you didn't say you didn't know who I was, so I said nothing. heheheh

Ok, I forget. I pledged but do I need to do something to get the pledge taken care of now?

9:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Andrea asked the question I was going to ask.

1:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You even manage to make "Pomodori i Mozzarella" sound good. I mean, it's a tolerable dish as it's usually presented, but those additions should make the whole thing pretty damn good.

10:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home