Saturday, August 06, 2005

Lay down your money and you play your part


It's past lunchtime and I'm FAMISHED! That tells me it's probably time to talk about food again before I go do something about the gnawing in the pit of my stomach.

How about some figs? See, I picked up some roasted, glazed figs and chorizo from my friends at The Boulevard Market in Tecumseh, Michigan yesterday. Together, these make a lovely Tapas dish! (Alas, that picture is only roasted figs.)

Chorizo and Figs in Red Wine

You have to start this dish the night before you plan to make it. Begin with 1/2 a pound of your favorite chorizo and about a cup of your favorite red Spanish wine (I like Sangre de Toro for this dish).

Prick your chorizo in 3 or 4 places with a fork, put it in a pan, and cover it with the wine. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat, and simmer for about 20 minutes. Remove from heat, allow to cool, then transfer into a bowl, cover, and leave to marinate overnight.

The next day, remove the chorizo from the wine and reserve the wine for later. Remove the outer casing of the chorizo and cut the sausage into slices about 1/4 inch thick. Put these into a cast iron skillet and add 1/2 a pound of roasted, glazed figs, cut in halves.

Drizzle with about 3 tablespoons of brandy, then light it up! (Stand back and don't set your hair on fire!)

Gently shake the pan down until the flames die down, then pour the reserved wine over. Cook over high heat until the wine has evaporated, leaving a lovely glaze.

Serve with crusty bread and Sangria!

I won't get to have this for lunch today, I expect I'll have a different recipe to share after lunch. It's time to go quiet my tummy!


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home