Saturday, August 06, 2005

Soup of the evening, beautiful Soup!


I would have thought that after years of having this soup at nearly every Social I host, my friends (and family!) would be weary of it. But strangely, I get asked almost every time if I'm going to make Garlic Soup, and if I'm not planning to, could I please change the menu a little and make it?

So I do. But I like making French Onion and White Cheddar Guinness soups too!

For my Foodie Friends, may I present the soup y'all beg for, and the one that sends the vampires in three states running for cover:

Creamy Garlic Soup (adapted from a recipe found on Epicurious some years ago)

26 garlic cloves, unpeeled
2 tablespoons olive oil - I really like Kalamata (and lately Zoe or Serendipity when I can get it) oil for this, but use what suits you best.

2 tablespoons butter
2 1/4 cups onions, thinly sliced
1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
18 cloves garlic, peeled
3 1/2 cups chicken stock (Note: you can substitute vegetable stock and it still tastes great!)
1/2 - 3/4 cup heavy cream (to your taste)

1/2 cup finely grated Parmesan (I've also found that Piave Vecchio works nicely, as does very well aged Fleur du Maquis.)

4 lemon wedges

Preheat oven to 350. In a glass dish, combine the 26 unpeeled garlic cloves with the olive oil and a bit of salt and pepper. Toss to coat. Cover tightly and bake til garlic is golden and tender, about 45 minutes. Cool until you can comfortably squeeze the cloves out of their skins. Set aside.

In a large, heavy saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Add onions and thyme, cook until onions are translucent. Add roasted garlic, peeled raw garlic and chicken stock, simmer until raw garlic is very tender. (20 minutes or thereabouts).

Working in batches, puree soup in blender until very smooth. Return to pan, bring to simmer, add cream, a bit more thyme, some salt and pepper to taste, and once again bring to simmer. Allow to simmer for 10 - 15 minutes to allow flavors to blend.

To serve, divide grated cheese among 4 bowls, ladle soup over, and squeeze one lemon wedge over each bowl. Garnish with a sprig of fresh thyme or a sprinkle of shredded Parmesan. This is an awesome first course, or a nice light lunch with some crusty bread and a crisp white wine.

3 Comments:

Blogger Jess said...

That looks like it tastes sooooo good :)

12:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Going backwards here.

Hm.... roasted garlic... that should add a nice full flavor to my soup. And I have extra virgin olive oil - Colavita, but I'm no connisuer. It has a slightly lemony taste.

2:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aaaaand it was entirely worth donating for this recipe, of course.

*cackles devilishly, files away*

1:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home